Article courtesy of SoccerNation/Diane Scavuzzo
Derek Barraza was voted president of Cal South during the associations AGM held at Cal South Expo in Los Angeles over the weekend. John Mullen was president prior to the vote.
Well-spoken and a voice for change, Derek Barraza has served on the Board of Cal South since 1998 and is an Information Technology expert. Barraza served as Cal South's Executive Vice President prior to the vote.
A coach who has managed youth teams, directed local and international youth soccer tournaments, and served an array of position on local youth soccer boards, Barraza brings years of experience to his new role as president.
Barraza has traveled all across the Cal South area attending meetings, working with youth soccer club presidents, league administrators as well as directors of coaching and looks forward to his new position. From speaking with various soccer professionals at this year's SoccerNation Expo, many of Cal South's members were eager to vote for Barraza stating they felt he would work hard to represent their needs at the association level.
Cal South is part of US Youth Soccer; the largest youth sports organization in America and provides players with opportunities to play at the earliest levels to the highest. US Youth Soccer is also the largest member of the United States Soccer Federation, the governing body for soccer in the United States. With over 600,000 volunteers and administrators, and over 300,000 dedicated coaches, US Youth Soccer registers over 3,000,000 youth players between the ages of five and nineteen. US Youth Soccer is made up of 55 member State Associations; one in each state, and two in California, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Texas. Cal South is one of the most successful state youth soccer organizations in US Youth Soccer and is well-recognized for player development and winning National Championships.
According to the Cal South website, "Four members of the gold medal-winning U.S. Women's National Team at the 2012 London Olympics are alumni of Cal South's ODP program: Alex Morgan, Rachel Buehler, Shannon Boxx and Amy Rodriguez."
Barraza and his wife Cindy attended the Cal South Expo and the Awards celebration dinner held last night.
Derek Barraza's volunteer experience includes:
- Cal South (California State Soccer Association - South), Executive Vice President. February 2011 - Present.
- Cal South, District Commissioner, Los Angeles County. February 2004 - February 2011.
- Cal South, Tournament Committee member February 1998 - February 2011.
- California Sun & Surf International, Inc., Executive Director. Non-profit youth sports organization serving the greater Long Beach area. Helped local non-profit organizations raise over $200,000 from 1996-2004.
- Project Management Institute (PMI) - Orange County Chapter, Vice President, Operations 2009-2010. Responsible for producing programs and events for the chapter. Served as the Programs Director, Speaker Chair from 2007-2010.
- International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) - Orange County Chapter, Vice President Marketing & Communications. Served the chapter leading an organization of volunteers responsible for monthly meetings and special events. Additional responsibilities included relationship development with the local business community and acquiring chapter sponsorships. Founding chapter member serving from 2006-2007.
- Long Beach United Soccer Club, Vice President 1996-1999. Helped grow the club from 6 to 27 teams. Helped develop the transition from a collection of independent teams to a focused organization with a professional director of coaching.
- Long Beach Youth Soccer Organization, President 1992-1993, Tournament Director 1990-1992. Recreational youth soccer organization with 1, 700 members. Directed annual Mayor's Cup Tournament for three (3) years helping to raise funds to support the league.
- Head Coach, Team Manager, Referee, and various roles on several recreational and competitive soccer teams from 1987-2004.
Professional Certifications and Affiliations
- Certification, Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Certification, Microsoft .NET Technologies, University of California, Irvine
- Certification, Compuware Application Reliability Solution (CARS), Compuware Corporation
- Member of Project Management Institute (PMI) 2005-Present.
- Member of Southern California Quality Assurance Association 2005-2007
- Member of International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) 2006-2008
*Soccer Nation®Expo is not affiliated with SoccerNation News
- See more at: http://www.soccernation.com/cal-south-new-president-derek-barraza-cms-5182#sthash.fuMe3ez8.dpuf